If you have undergone your Scalp Micropigmentation, congratulations! But your journey is not over just yet. After getting done with your Scalp Micropigmentation, there is still a bit that you’d have to do in order to get the best results. Getting SMP isn’t the only step in this process, caring for your scalp after the treatment is done is also very important.
SMP AFTERCARE GUIDELINE:
The main objective in the aftercare of SMP is to slow down fading as much as we can. The steps mentioned in this article help a lot with the fading, but it should be noted that fading is a natural process and it cannot be stopped. It can only be slowed down.
Your doctor should have provided you with full after-care guidelines, but if you still feel lost, then you can just follow this guideline.
It should be noted that during Scalp Micropigmentation, basically a thousand of tiny perforations are made into your skull to inject color. Due to these perforations, tiny scabs form on your skull. We know that it can be itchy and the need to take them out is overwhelming, but you MUST stop yourself from touching them or peeling them off. It will hinder your healing process and, moreover, if you peel them, DO NOT forget that some pigments will come out of them.
Following are both short-term, as well as long-term Aftercare guideline:
DAY 1 – DAY 4:
- Do not touch, rub or disturb your scalp in any way.
- Do not wash your scalp. No matter how much you want to.
- Avoid going out in the sun. UV rays can be harmful and certainly can promote fading.
- Avoid sweating. Do not go to gyms or do any kind of workout that can cause profuse sweating.
DAY 5 – DAY 7:
- On day 5, you can wash your head with warm water and shampoo.
- Start moisturizing your head to prevent dryness. Non- perfumed moisturizer is recommended.
- Moisturize twice a day; morning and night.
- You can wear hats and beanies to cover your head.
- You can use electric foil shaver to shave your head. AVOID making any contact with scabs if they are still present.
- Avoid wet shaving with razor blades for 10 days after treatment.
- For 30 days, avoid chlorinated pools, saltwater, saunas, and steam rooms.
- UV rays (sunlight) are dangerous for the treated area. Therefore, make sure to apply sunscreen before going out. Use sunscreen with at least SPF 50+. For 30 days avoid getting a tan on the treated area.
- Wash your scalp with fragrance-free, antibacterial soap for the first 30 days to keep it clean.
- Use an exfoliating cleanser as often as possible as it removes dead cells and keeps your head looking fresh.
- Avoid products that use a high amount of alcohol. Creams and lotions that use a little bit of alcohol are fine.
- It is recommended to avoid head sine if possible.
If you want to keep your look fresh and new, just keep following this guideline. After all, if you want the best results, some extra effort needs to be made. Do not forget to consult with your doctor about the aftercare routine.